Tuesday, August 26, 2014

8/23/14

Got up and went to this donut shop with Mike called Union Donuts. We got Bacon Maple donuts, that were AMAZING. I took off and headed up the coast.
 The inner lip on the rear pulley on my bike separated from the pulley. Nothing happened other then it was making a loud annoying noise while I was riding. And worse case the belt could potentially slip off the pulley, which would not be good.
 I started calling around to different bike shops in the area. A shop called Sin City Motorcycles referred me to Paul, a local Harley Mechanic. I called him and explained my situation, he said he thought he had a pulley and to head over to his place. When I got there it was exactly what I expected. Paul was a big scary dude covered in tattoos, and there were Hells Angels stickers and posters everywhere.
 He was nice as could be, and wanted to help. We pulled my saddle bag off and put my bike up on the lift...... and realized the pulley he had was the wrong one. He called around to Harley dealerships, and some shops, but no luck. I had been riding with it like this since NY, and I had broken the ring off that was making all the noise. So I figured I'd keep going and hope for the best, I mean what could go wrong?!
 Turns out I was in Lynn, MA. which is where Alyson grew up, and her dad lived literally around the corner. She told him where I was, and he rode is motorcycle over. I met him (John), and we talked for a few. I told him I was headed to Salem, and he said he'd take me there and buy me lunch. I told Paul thank you and took off to Salem.
 John took me to his favorite restaurant in Salem, which was where he used to take Alyson as a kid. We ate and talked about motorcycles for the most part. Super nice guy, no wonder Alyson is such a sweetheart. He took off and I walked around Salem for a bit. There's a really cool 'Salem Witch Trials Memorial', and a graveyard with headstones dating from the late 1600's into the 1800's. I walked around and took some pics before getting back on the bike.
I rode up into Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Pretty cool little town. I left there and headed into Maine. It started getting pretty cold, which is a nice change from the heat of the south, and south west!
 Maine is absolutely beautiful. I rode past Portland, and went a few miles into the hills above Freeport to Bradbury Mountain State Park. I Parked at the front gate of the campground since it was closed. I walked thru the whole campground, not one site open. I went back to my bike and was looking at the map to find another campsite when a guy walked up and asked if I was looking for a site. He said he was camping by himself and that I could put my tent up in his site. I went and got setup and talked with him for a bit. Super cool guy, from Connecticut, but had been in Brooklyn for the last few years. He said he had to get up early and take off so he turned in. I stayed up and made some food before hitting the sack myself.

   ^ Thanks Mike for the hospitality!








   ^ Bradbury Mountain State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment