Wednesday, August 13, 2014

8/12/14

Woke up in Alexandria, Virginia. It was raining lightly, and I was less then 10 miles from Washington DC. Since I had never been there before, I figured I'd stop and check it out before heading to Long Island, NY. There was a lot of traffic in DC, and the rain had seemed to stop......... until i parked next to the Washington monument. Thats when the sky let loose. Within seconds of stepping off my bike I was soaked. Since I would get wet riding anyway, I figured I'd walk around regardless. Well the rain got heavier, and I got drenched from head to toe. I walked to the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial Wall, and the WWII Memorial. I was the only one walking around without an umbrella or rain poncho.
 I got on my bike and sat in traffic for a few miles to the highway.. I made it about 15 miles on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, passed two bad accidents, and rode the shoulder for a couple miles in dead stop traffic. I stopped at a gas station and hid out of the rain for about 30 minutes. It let up quite a bit, so I got back on the highway.  I rode about 10 more miles. Passed a car that had just flipped and slid into a tree, firefighters were pulling the guy from the car when I passed. Again traffic completely stopped, and I rode the shoulder for a bit. I came up on a section of the highway where the trees opened up. Crazy wind gusts, thunder, and lightning were happening...... The highway started flooding and I was riding in over a foot of water, up over my feet. So I took the next exit, and again hid at a gas station. I waited about an hour, and it got worse...... So I checked into the nearest hotel, and called it a day. When I walked up to check in, I reached up to set my wallet on the counter..... water came pouring out my jacket sleeve all over the counter. Every step I took left a puddle from my boots haha.
 I've ridden in heavy rain, and bad conditions...... but being out on the road, let alone on a motorcycle was just plain stupid!


   ^ I've always seen pictures of DC, but seing it in person was pretty amazing. The architecture alone is incredible.
   ^ The steps to the lincoln memorial were full on waterfalls!



   ^ I've heard, read, and learned about the Vietnam war growing up....... But actually seeing the wall and how many names were on it, was quite emotional and a lot heavier then I expected.

   ^ The WWII Memorial was really cool. Especially knowing my grandfather, William Winter played a role in protecting our country.
   ^ Hiding out of the relentless rain!

   ^ When I started getting flash flood warnings on my phone, I figured it was a good time to call it quits for the day haha

No comments:

Post a Comment