Thursday, August 21, 2014

8/13/14

 Woke up to blue skies in Hanover, MD. Which was a pleasant change after the last couple days of constantly getting rained on! As I was packing up my stuff to load up my bike, I got a text from Corey with a pic of a car floating down the street by his house, not good. The storm that hit me yesterday was now dumping rain on Long Island, mostly on Central Islip, and Bay Shore, Where Corey and Pam live. Apparently the storm drains there were built to handle about 5' of rain in a 24 hour period...... they got 13" in under an hour. FLOODED!!!!!
 So I took my time, rode thru Baltimore, and into Delaware.  Went over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and started up the New Jersey Turnpike. Up til then the weather had been sunny and nice. I could see the rain ahead. As I would catch up to the rain, I would pull off the highway and hang out. I rode over the Goethals bridge onto Staten Island, then over the Verrazano bridge into Brooklyn. The ride out to Bay Shore was nice, good weather, and traffic wasn't bad...... Corey told me that no matter what, do not take Sunrise Highway, since it was flooded. So I went a different way on Southern Shore highway. As I got closer I talked to Corey's sister Tiffany, she was at the hotel while Corey picked his parents up from the airport. So I put the hotel address in my GPS, which took me to.... you guessed it, Sunrise Highway. It wasnt bad, until I came to a part of the highway that was flooded. The left side of the highway was the shallowest part, so I rode thru there, and it wasnt bad. Didn't even get wet....... until I got to the next flooded section. The left side was also the shallowest part, except the shallow part was deep haha. The water was up over my footpegs, so I put my feet up on my gas tank and charged thru. My boots, and the back of my jeans got soaked, again. I really thought I was going to make it through the day dry!!!!! Finally made it to the hotel and met up with Tiffany, Corey and their parents. We went to dinner, and Coreys dad, Rick and myself went to pick up our suits for the wedding.
 3400 miles and 7 days, made it to NY!!!! 











No comments:

Post a Comment