Saturday, September 20, 2014

9/04/14

The motel was much warmer then if I would have camped, it was freezing last night!
 I left around 8:30, and it was still really cold. The 50 mile ride to the east entrance of Yellowstone was amazing! Once I got into the park I rode about 15 miles and got to Yellowstone Lake. It finally started warming up a little, and the sky was clear and blue. I rode around the lake and headed north to start my way around the whole loop. There was a ton of cars pulled over in one spot, and everyone was out with cameras, so I stopped. There was a Bison hanging out right off the road in a field grazing! It was so cool, I had never seen one before! I kept on north until I saw a sign for 'The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone'. I followed the signs down to the lower falls. It was pretty incredible, a huge rock ravine, with really cool big waterfalls. What made it especially cool, was the fact that when  driving on the highway, you'd never know it was there. just looks like thick forest. Next I came across the 'Mud Volcano', a big boiling pit of mud. There were also big boiling pools of crystal clear blue water.    
  In the parking lot I noticed a guy laying down looking under his motorcycle. It was an old Honda CB. His bike was leaking oil, and I asked him if he needed help. We talked for a bit. He and his girlfriend had ridden from Buffalo, NY to Yellowstone, and were headed for Los Angeles. I gave him my phone number in case he needed a shop to go to in Boise, or LA. Haven't heard from him yet, so hope fully Buffalo Bill and his girlfriend made it!!!
 I came across a huge open field..... way out there were about 20 Bison! I took a pic, but with my phone camera its a little hard to see that far out there. I rode around the top of the loop, and down the west side past the west entrance, and down to Old Faithful. I walked over to the sitting area, and sat down with the massive crowd of tourists. After about 20 minutes, it started going. At first it started small, and looked like that was it.... but then it went off like crazy and shot about 30' up! It's pretty wild that it happens like clockwork, and has for years and years.
 I rode back up to the turn off for the west entrance and headed out of the park. The road followed along a river for awhile, and I saw a couple big Bucks by the water. The west entrance spits you out into a little corner of Montana, and then into Idaho. I rode for a couple hours towards Idaho Falls, Idaho, cut west on highway 20, and started across central Idaho towards Boise. I made it to a small town called Arco, about 200 miles east of Boise. It was dark, and getting really cold. So I checked into a motel for the night.   


   ^ Yellowstone Lake.




   ^ Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.





No comments:

Post a Comment